Tim Kelly elected Chattanooga Mayor after receiving 60% of the votes in Tuesday’s Run-Off Election against Kim White. Kelly will be sworn into office April 19th. White took to Twitter to congratulate Kelly on his victory. https://twitter.com/kimwhiteforcha/status/1382131483792572417?s=21 Two City Council seats were also decided in the Run-Off Election with Jenny Hill elected to restore sent
State Political News
- Tennessee attorney general joins opposition to John Lewis Voting Rights ActTennessee Attorney General Herbert Slatery signed a letter this week that follows similar efforts to oppose Democrat-led voting-rights initiatives.
- State House candidate facing rape allegation denies claimsDemocrat DeAngelo Jelks posted an apology to his wife in a social media response in which he also claims he did nothing illegal.
- Effective or burdensome? Tennessee lawmakers take on cash bail reformReform advocates argue Tennessee's cash bail system weighs heavily on the state's working poor, but the bail industry is opposing any bail reform.
- The South is leading the fight against Roe v. Wade. Texas' new abortion law could speed up the legal battlesIn the days since the high court declined to block Texas' new law, officials in at least seven states have expressed interest in similar antiabortion measures.
- Census 2020: Nashville's suburbs drive population growth, putting strain on schools and local servicesAlthough Davidson County grew by more than 14% since 2010, the surrounding suburban counties are attracting new residents at a far faster rate.
- 'Heavy-handed': TN Gov. Bill Lee vows to fight Biden's COVID-19 vaccine mandate for workersTennessee Gov. Bill Lee joined conservative governors in vowing to fight a new federal COVID-19 vaccine mandate for nearly 100 million U.S. workers.
- Tennessee's strict new abortion law will remain blocked, federal appeals court rulesThe 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday affirmed a lower court's decision to block Tennessee's new law.
- Gov. Bill Lee is criticized by all sides. He's still well positioned for 2022.The governor is less than a year out from the 2022 Republican primary.
National Political News
- Pentagon, White House mobilize defense of Milley amid criticism over China callsThe defense of the top US military official kicked into gear across Washington Wednesday in response to claims that Gen. Mark Milley overstepped his authority during the waning days of the Trump administration.
- Biden and UK to help Australia acquire nuclear submarines in new pushback on ChinaPresident Joe Biden plans to unveil Wednesday a new effort to help Australia acquire nuclear-powered submarines, a major step toward countering China as he works to build international backing for his approach to Beijing.
- Takeaways from the Senate hearing on the FBI's failures to investigate gymnasts' charges against NassarA Senate hearing Wednesday gave several acclaimed gymnasts who were abused by Larry Nassar a powerful platform to call out the system that failed them.
- McKayla Maroney: FBI made 'entirely false claims about what I said'The Senate Judiciary Committee will hear testimony Wednesday from four elite gymnasts -- Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney, Maggie Nichols and Aly Raisman -- who say they were abused by Larry Nassar, the former USA Gymnastics team doctor who is now serving a several-decade prison sentence.
- Federal judge to wait at least two weeks before ruling on DOJ's emergency request to block Texas abortion lawA federal judge Wednesday set a hearing date for October 1 to consider a request from the Justice Department to freeze a Texas law that bars most abortions after six weeks of pregnancy.
- Organizer of Saturday rally in DC downplays concerns of violence as officials ramp up securityThe organizer of the right-wing rally coming up Saturday in Washington, DC, downplayed concerns of potential violence, telling CNN on Wednesday that it will feature "a largely peaceful crowd."
- DHS needs better Covid-19 protocols at US-Mexico border to prevent putting migrants and staff at risk, watchdog findsThe Department of Homeland Security needs to enhance its Covid-19 prevention measures at the US-Mexico border, a newly released report from the department inspector general has found.
- Former US gymnast calls for 'follow-through' after Larry Nassar hearingFormer US rhythmic gymnast Jessica Howard said Wednesday that she "would really like to see some follow-through" after top US gymnasts gave harrowing testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee about how Federal Bureau of Investigation agents mishandled the Larry Nassar investigation.