Tim Kelly elected Chattanooga Mayor after receiving 60% of the votes in Tuesday’s Run-Off Election against Kim White. Kelly will be sworn into office April 19th. White took to Twitter to congratulate Kelly on his victory. https://twitter.com/kimwhiteforcha/status/1382131483792572417?s=21 Two City Council seats were also decided in the Run-Off Election with Jenny Hill elected to restore sent
State Political News
- Nashville's WNBA market study comes together just as league readies for expansionNashville's Sports Authority Board is finalizing a market study on attracting a professional women's sports team, and the WNBA is studying expansion.
- State defends Lee's school mask opt-out order with expert who claims masks don't workThe state has argued through an expert accused of mischaracterizing data that masks are ineffective in mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
- The Tennessee sex offender registry may be thrown out by court, lawmakers fearA joint legislative committee on Wednesday explored options to revamp the state's sex offender registry, which is contested in at least 30 lawsuits.
- Health care exec with ties to Louisiana, Tennessee GOP warns of consequences of pandemic freedomThe president and CEO of Ballad Health posted on Facebook Wednesday expressing his concern over the direction of the pandemic and GOP leadership.
- Tennessee GOP lawmaker slams colleagues for supporting businesses' right to mandate vaccinesRep. Bruce Griffey, R-Paris, said in a letter "history will not be kind" to those in favor of business owners' right to require vaccines.
- Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee launches review of the state's education funding formulaThe state will launch a 90 day "public comment" period to garner feedback from lawmakers, policymakers, educators and families.
- Tennessee Republicans set Oct. 27 as tentative date for special session tackling COVID-19 restrictionsTennessee Republicans expect a special session to roll back the state's COVID-19 restrictions. They have not agreed on how.
- Gov. Bill Lee touts reduced number of distressed counties in Tennessee, stresses rural developmentTennessee now has 9 distressed counties, a decline from the 15 when Gov. Bill Lee took office in 2019.
National Political News
- Why neither party has a sustainable political majorityLet me tell you a little story. Nine years ago, Barack Obama won a second term in office, and there was talk of an emerging Democratic majority in presidential elections. Then came Donald Trump, the least liked major party nominee of all time, who won the 2016 election — albeit without winning the popular vote.
- Biden admin tells Supreme Court that Guantanamo detainee can provide limited testimonyThe Biden administration has informed the Supreme Court that Abu Zubaydah, a former associate of Osama bin Laden who was subject to enhanced interrogation techniques in a CIA detention center and is currently held in in Guantanamo Bay, could provide limited testimony for use in a Polish investigation into the use of CIA black sites […]
- Ex-intel official who created controversial Trump Russia dossier speaks outFormer British intelligence officer Christopher Steele, the man behind the "Steele Dossier" that claimed Russian officials held compromising information on former President Donald Trump, defended the claims made in the dossier in his first on-camera interview since it was revealed in 2017.
- The secret Supreme Court: Late nights, courtesy votes and the unwritten 6-vote ruleMuch of the US Supreme Court's business occurs in private, as the nine justices meet alone around a rectangular table in a small oak-paneled room.
- Americans among more than 350 passengers who departed Kabul on evacuation flight SundayOne of the largest evacuation flights departed Kabul on Sunday with an unknown number of Americans on board and is on its way to Doha, a senior Qatari government official tells CNN.
- Kinzinger doesn't rule out January 6 committee subpoena for TrumpA Republican on the House committee investigating the January 6 insurrection at the US Capitol on Sunday did not rule out issuing a subpoena for former President Donald Trump as it seeks to obtain information from his allies.
- Former President Bill Clinton released from hospitalFormer President Bill Clinton has been released from a California hospital after being treated for an infection that spread to his bloodstream.
- Buttigieg says US supply chain issues will 'certainly' continue into 2022Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg predicted on Sunday that supply chain issues facing the US will continue into 2022, but stressed that Congress potentially passing President Joe Biden's infrastructure proposal is the best way to help alleviate those problems.