Tim Kelly elected Chattanooga Mayor after receiving 60% of the votes in Tuesday’s Run-Off Election against Kim White. Kelly will be sworn into office April 19th. White took to Twitter to congratulate Kelly on his victory. https://twitter.com/kimwhiteforcha/status/1382131483792572417?s=21 Two City Council seats were also decided in the Run-Off Election with Jenny Hill elected to restore sent
State Political News
- How Ford plans to build out workforce development curriculum for Blue Oval CityFord Motor Company is hoping to ready high schoolers for the $5.6 billion electric vehicle and battery plant in West Tennessee, which is expected to open in 2025.
- Tennessee governor sending National Guardsmen to combat drug trafficking at Mexico borderTennessee will send 50 guardsmen to support the Texas National Guard and "address drug trafficking," Gov. Bill Lee said in a news release.
- Legislation challenging Tennessee's 2020 election results unlikely to advanceLegislative leaders expressed little interest in re-examining the state's 2020 election results, stressing there was no evidence of voter fraud in Tennessee.
- Nashville school board members to county parties: Don't push for partisan elections in 2022Nashville school board members sent a letter to the Davidson County Democratic and Republican parties Monday morning ahead of this week's deadline.
- Hundreds attended eight town halls across Tennessee. Here's what they said about how to fund schoolsThe Lee administration has embarked on a massive effort to review and come up with a new way to fund K-12 education.
- 'It was life-changing': Tennessee set to begin pilot program process aimed at spending massive reserve for needy familiesA panel will vote Dec. 7 in the first phase of the Tennessee Opportunity Pilot Initiative, which will eventually seed seven public-private partnerships.
- Gov. Bill Lee grants clemency to 17 people, introduces new review for school zone drug offensesThe clemency decisions are a first for Gov. Bill Lee, who in 2020 loosened criteria to qualify for a governor's review.
- Tennessee signed $75M contact tracing deal with firm lacking prior epidemiology experienceThe emergency contract, signed at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, did not go through the fiscal review process overseen by Tennessee legislators.
National Political News
- House passes bill authorizing $770 billion in Pentagon funding and setting Defense policyThe National Defense Authorization Act, the annual must-pass piece of legislation that sets the policy agenda and authorizes almost $770 billion in funding for the Department of Defense, is set for final passage in the House of Representatives.
- Biden told Putin that 'things we did not do in 2014, we are prepared to do now' if Russia escalates in Ukraine, top adviser saysPresident Joe Biden will hold a call with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday in what is expected to be a highly consequential meeting for the two leaders amid escalating tensions between Russia and Ukraine.
- Pentagon's review of Afghanistan drawdown begins 3 months after withdrawalThree months after the withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan, the team picked by the Defense Department to review the drawdown and the final months of America's longest war has begun its work.
- House passes new debt ceiling plan after McConnell cuts deal with DemocratsSenate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have reached an agreement to create a one-time process that would let Democrats raise the debt ceiling on their votes alone, a deal that underscores the lengths the GOP leader will go to avoid a damaging default without Republican support to increase the national […]
- Mark Meadows to halt cooperation with January 6 committeeFormer White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows will cease cooperation with the House select committee investigating January 6, according to a letter from his attorney to the panel, which was obtained by CNN on Tuesday.
- Senate confirms Biden's pick to lead border agencyThe Senate confirmed President Joe Biden's pick to lead US Customs and Border Protection, Chris Magnus, on Tuesday after months of confirmation setbacks that left the agency with a void at the top amid a record number of border arrests.
- Analysis: Biden confronts 2 rivals in 24 hoursSince 1999, as either the full or putative leader of his country, Russian President Vladimir Putin has watched US presidents come and go.
- Biden administration considering options for possibly evacuating US citizens from Ukraine if Russia invadesThe Biden administration is exploring options for a potential evacuation of US citizens from Ukraine if Russia were to invade the country and create a dire security situation, half a dozen sources tell CNN.